Monday, January 3, 2011

8 Great Goals in 2011

Happy New Year!



I’m a little late, but I’ve been doing a lot of living in the last few days. Expect many more posts to catch up in the next week.

What I really want to do right now, though, is get my New Year’s goals on the books. I’m a big believer in setting some ambitious resolutions for myself every year, and I write them down and tell people. Because that’s how I stay accountable. If it sounds like I have little willpower… that might be true. Fine.

Here is what I’m working on in the next 12 months:

1. Cook more/better. Living alone has turned me into a cereal/PBJ/frozen dinner person. I want to cook better and fresher dinners for myself more often this year. Plus, my parents say that’s the way to a man’s heart. Whatever, but I guess it’s worth a shot.

2. Get involved in an athletic activity. Last year I was really into going to the gym, but I’ve gotten bored with it. This year, I’m interested in trying yoga or kickboxing or lifting weights with a trainer or something. I just need a little change in my workouts. Something more interactive. And fun!

3. Be a better friend and listener. I have the extreme fortune of having people in my life who genuinely ask me how I’m doing and get the opportunity to talk about what’s going on with me. It is amazing. I’m going to return the favor to my friends and family this year. More phone calls out of the blue to friends to find out how they’re doing. Less talking, more listening.

4. Strengthen my finances and investments. I’ve learned a lot this year about investing and personal finance. This year I’d like to put some of that to use in my own life. Securing some good things for me down the road. Working hard to earn a raise this year. Paying off my credit card balance, paying off my car and paying off my student loan are all within reach in the next 12 months! FREEDOM!

5. Learn to sew and play piano. I got a sewing machine from my mom last year. It’s been in the box ever since. I got a keyboard as well… it’s in the corner of my room and only gets played when I need to bust out some Heart and Soul. Being creative is really rewarding to me, and maybe I can finally join the family band. Singing is never going to work out for me.

6. Challenge a fear. For some reason, I’ve been thinking about skydiving lately. I’m scared to do it, but I really want to face down a fear this year. I think I’m craving that feeling of accomplishing and winning something… So this year, I want to jump out of a plane or go deep sea diving. I’m scared of what’s in the deep ocean. I get a rush just thinking about doing either of those things!

7. Explore. I like traveling, seeing new places and people. And I’d like to continue to prioritize exploring more of other places. It keeps me appreciative of where I live and the people I love, and at the same time respectful of how diverse and interesting other people and places are. I also want to explore some new music. I need a new band/musician who I can’t get enough of. Any suggestions?

8. Focus. I sometimes feel like I’m being dragged through my days instead of plowing through them. I’d like to be more proactive in my life and less reactive. I need to take more time on a daily basis to stop and think. Call it meditation, prayer, thinking, centering, whatever. I just want to pause for a moment and focus on a consistent basis.

That should keep me pretty busy. Good luck with YOUR resolutions. I hope you have a wonderful new year!

xoxo
JAM

No comments:

Post a Comment