Thursday, February 16, 2012

Happy Galentine's Day!


This week included the holiday with which I have a love/hate relationship with. I LOVE love... and should, then, love Valentine's Day. But my love life has been a little lackluster lately (alliteration!), so I'm not really feeling the balloons and chocolates and roses and hearts.

UNTIL... I heard a "knock, knock, knock" on my office door on Monday morning.

"Flower delivery for Jessica McCann."

Whaaaa??!? Who could be sending me flowers?!

My sweet, sweet baby sister had sent me flowers with a little card about Valentine's being a day to show me how special I was, or some mushy sentiment like that. What shock! What surprise!

Thank you, Tiffany!

And she's right. Romantic love is wonderful and deserves to be celebrated. But all kinds of love are lovely - especially the kind that runs in your blood and has been there through it ALL. I mean IT. ALL. She really changed my perspective this year, and I started thinking about all the wonderful love I have in my life. Now, it seems so silly to get down just because I don't have one particular kind of love. I'm so blessed by people who truly care about me and who I value so so much.

All of a sudden, I had plenty of reasons to celebrate Valentine's Day!

To return the favor, I asked Tiffany out on a date. To the Olive Garden. Which now is just a regular old restaurant, but in high school, it was like THE place to have a nice dinner. Prom date style. So we dined (ordered the same exact thing too, we're twinkies), laughed, took ill-concealed pictures of strangers because they looked like celebrities and had to keep apologizing to our waiter because I'd paid almost an hour earlier but we were still chatting it up at the table.

Demetri Martin doppelganger. 
Spotted by Tiffany... no credit to me, I just took the picture.

Pretty much the perfect evening. Tiffany told me it's called Galentine's Day - where you hang out with gal pals around V-Day. I like it. I don't think she invented it, but in my mind, she did.

I hope your Valentine's Day was fantastic. And I hope if you have a lover, you celebrated your love. And if you don't, I hope you took the day to see the love that is all around you. It's powerful stuff, man.

XOXO - especially this week
jam

3 comments:

  1. Looks like he could be Justin Bieber (although I can't get a good look at his face).

    Oh, and I love you prospective on Valentine's Day...I guess it would have to be Bralentine's Day for me

    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said Beiber! She said Demetri Martin. I think she BARELY won...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, Jessy! You are too sweet! I had a wonderful Galentine's Day with you!!

    ReplyDelete