Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Love one another

This video has had me in tears at least 4 times this week:



Source

I am broken-hearted over the thought that there are young people in the world that don’t think life is worth living anymore because they feel alone, misunderstood, guilty or ashamed for who they are. Why? Because someone around them said, either directly or indirectly, that who they are is wrong or bad or unwanted. They’ve barely begun to live, and already they want to die. This is an incredibly tragic wake up call. It has to be a call to start loving each other more and hating each other less.

I’ve been thinking about what we are capable of doing to each other with our angry speech and hateful thoughts. Our words matter. They wound. They have the power to make people hate themselves and cease to see love or hope in their worlds. Despite the old rhyme about sticks and stones, sadly it turns out words can harm worse than broken bones; they can kill.

I don’t have children, but I have little brothers. I worry about them being bullied or being bullies… and the truth is the only thing I can do is love them enough that they never question their place in my heart or our family or in this world. And also love them enough to show them that loving other people is a more fulfilling way to live.

It’s not that hard just to love each other. It really isn’t. And I’m not even just talking about gay or straight, rich or poor, cool crowd or dorks…. I’m just talking about caring about people. I don’t have to agree with everyone, but I can care about their well-being, (or spirit, soul or whatever YOU believe is the essence of a person) enough to not destroy them with my words. In fact, I don’t feel any better or prouder or get any joy from saying something hurtful to or about someone… If you DO get joy or satisfaction from hurting others… seek help. You have issues of your own.

Compassion without reservation. I’m making this my motto. Please do too. I think it can only be good for all of us.

XOXO

JAM


P.S. Thank you Joel Burns for speaking up. You're making a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment