Friday, October 15, 2010

What I love about you...

This post is something I'm going to start doing regularly... thinking about what I love about the people in my life. And I'm starting off with my most favorite person in the world: my sister, Tiffany Lynn.

What I love about Tiffany most is her sense of humor. She is seriously the funniest person I know. Harmony High School confirmed this by voting her Best Sense of Humor... twice. They voted her mascot zero times... but she only tried out once and she was a freshman - no one knew how truly hilarious she was yet. I believe if she would've tried out again, she would've had it in the bag.

Me and Tiffany this summer.

I also love her lightness of heart. You may not know what that means, but what I'm trying to describe is her childlike spirit. She's not immature or childish, but she sees the world with a very innocent and pure-of-heart perspective. She cries at sentimental commercials, adopts stray animals and is kind to children. I tend to be more serious, and I can't count the number of times Tiffany has lightened the mood and my attitude with a little joke or quip or anecdote. She loves good times and good jokes - and I love having her around me.

Me and Tiffany in Summer 2005. I had just gotten back from Mexico. A summer without my sister :(

And what I truly love the very most about Tiffany is that I don't remember what life was like before her. I was almost 2 when she was born... and I am so lucky to have grown up with a best friend for my entire life. We moved around ALOT as kids too, so it was such a blessing to have a built-in buddy through the times when we've been "the new kids". I'm not sugar-coating reality - we HAVE HAD FIGHTS. We went through the "we hate each other" phase. But we've always been the type that fight fiercely, but love each other even more fiercely. I've been mad at her, but if a friend tried to commiserate by adding some negative comment about my sister, the tables turned and I wasn't having anyone talk about my sister. I've got her back. She's got my back. That's just the way it is. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE that about her.

Me and Tiffany after an impromptu mudding Sunday. We didn't MEAN to go mudding... but that kind of stuff just happens when you hang out with Tiffany.

I'm really excited to think about the qualities of the people I love. It's easy to take people for granted when you are lucky enough to have them in your life... it's always when someone is gone that we usually start spending time considering the wonderful things they brought to our lives. And by then it's too late. I don't want to wait that long. Love is the essence of what it means to be humans; it sets us apart and above other animals. It's an important quality to nurture.

So that's what I love most about a person I love so much.

xoxo
JAM

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, you're the best! I love you very much and am so fortunate to have a great big sister.

    However, I must implore you to get some sleep, Night Owl!

    ReplyDelete